Smart Home Technology
Three Reasons to Update Your Home with Smart Home Technology
As part of your home upgrade, why not consider smart home technology? Integrating security with advanced technology, a smart home provides protection for you and your family, while giving you the ability to remotely control devices in your home and monitor what’s going on when you’re away – all from your smartphone or tablet.
Here are three reasons why you should add comfort, convenience and security to your home.
Spring into security
Not only is security a critical component of smart home technology, it’s also one of the most popular features among homeowners. A survey released by the Consumer Electronics Association reported that 62 percent of consumers interested in smart home technology were initially intrigued by the security aspect.
The appeal of enhanced home security systems stems from their user-friendly design and convenient lifestyle-enriching benefits such as remote monitoring and control. For instance, if your home is equipped with an enhanced security system, you’ll never have to wonder it’s armed or if the doors are locked. Simply log in on your smartphone, tablet or other web-enabled device, check the status of your home and secure it with the push of a button.
Pull the plug on high energy bills
Whether it’s leaving the lights on, forgetting to adjust the thermostat before your week-long vacation, or those pesky appliances referred to as “energy vampires,” there are many ways energy can be wasted in your home. Fortunately, you don’t have to dine by candlelight to combat high energy bills; you just need a little technology.
Many homeowners using smart home technology as an energy management solution have reported up to 30 percent savings on their monthly utility bills. You can keep your home running efficiently by managing your thermostat, lights and appliances via the web. It’s an easy way to conserve energy and save money.
Utilize life-saving home alerts
Fire, burglary and carbon monoxide poisoning are just a few events that can destroy your home or threaten the lives of loved ones. Fortunately, enhanced home security systems give you advanced warnings that can help protect what’s important to you.
Through instant alerts sent directly to your smartphone, you can be notified the moment your security or smoke alarms are activated or bypassed. In addition, you can program surveillance cameras within your home to send a live video feed from the zone in which the alarm has been triggered. This real-time technology allows you to react quickly and stay up-to-date during emergency situations.
No matter how you decide to upgrade the technology in your home this spring, it’s important to find a company that is both qualified and trusted within your community. The Electronic Security Association (ESA) has many members that are home control experts. These security companies are committed to high standards of expertise in enhanced interactive systems. To find a local ESA member, click "get quote," enter your zip code, answer a few simple questions and get matched up with a company in your area that can design a system that works with your lifestyle and budget.
This year, ditch the plans to rebuild the deck. Instead, invest in smart home technology that will actually improve your life while giving your home an upgrade that will make the neighbors jealous.
Bring Your Home Up to Speed with Smart Home Technology
Your home is filled with appliances that make your life more convenient and comfortable. You probably have more than you think: dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer, garage door opener and TV remote, just for starters. So what’s next in smart home technology?
Many alarm companies are beginning to offer home automation products and services that can turn your home into a smart home. They offer increased control over many common household functions, including lighting, air conditioning, security (locks and alarm system), televisions, stereos and computers.
Before you write home automation off as another high-tech luxury, check out these benefits that can save you money, increase your safety and enhance your life:
- Home automation technology can help you control your thermostat when you are away from home. Unlike a programmable thermostat, you can change the temperature immediately from your smart phone or tablet device. So, if you are out running errands and it’s taking a little longer than expected, you can adjust the temperature so you aren’t cooling or heating an empty home.
- You can also save money by reducing your electricity usage. Whether you accidentally left the lights on, can’t remember if you turned off the iron, or want to reduce wasted energy from plugged-in and unused appliances, home automation has you covered. On average, home automation technology saves homeowners 10-15% monthly on their utility bills.
- Heightened security is one of the main reasons consumers seek out home automation. Can’t remember if you locked the doors? Lock or unlock your doors via smart phone or tablet. Did you forget to arm your alarm system? No problem, arm it remotely. When the components work together, the features are endless.
- Convenience is also a consideration. For example, home automation allows you to accept a delivery without being home. When your doorbell rings, an alert is sent to your smart phone or tablet. You view live video from a security camera positioned in the entryway to see who is at the door. With the touch of a button you can speak with the delivery person, verify their identity, and give them special instructions (i.e., leave the package on the doorstep or on the table by the door). You can even remotely unlock the front door, watch the person enter your home and set the package down, watch as they exit, and lock the door remotely behind them. It’s as simple and secure as that.
- Home automation can enhance your life by giving you the ability to keep an eye on what’s important to you when you are away. An alarm system that utilizes home automation technology can be programmed to send you a notification via email or text message each time your child disarms the alarm system after he or she gets home from school. You can even make certain areas of your home off-limits to kids such as a gun cabinet or your bedroom. These features can provide extra safety to your family and give you peace of mind when you are away from home.
Home automation is no longer an idea of the future. It’s here and it’s within your reach. The improvements will not only save you time, but help you keep your life and home running at optimum efficiency.