How Does Burglar Alarm Monitoring Work
Home security systems require reliable communications to ensure their effectiveness. Beyond working with an experienced alarm company, burglar alarm monitoring is the most important part of the system. It allows the proper authorities to be notified in the event of an emergency. Burglar alarm monitoring requires a reliable communication vehicle. Without that, no one will know if there is a problem at your home or place of business. If you're in the market for a security system, don't forget to ask about communication (phone line) options to facilitate reliable monitoring.
Burglar Alarm Monitoring Options:
- Cellular radio communicators (AS-9000GSM alarm control panel) are very reliable if the home is in a location that has a strong and consistent signal. Radio signals are nearly impossible to interrupt, and cannot be detected by burglars. It is recommended that, when using this system for communication, the homeowner maintains a battery backup on both the alarm system and the radio.
- Landline phones (AS-9000FX Alarm Control panel) are the second most reliable communication system for alarms. While the speed of traditional phone lines is not as fast as cellular radio communications, they are more stable. Many carriers provide backup power that will ensure the phone line works even if the power is out.
- Voice over IP, or VoIP, and internet monitoring are both unreliable communication systems for a home alarm system since the cable connection outside the home can easily be cut by a burglar. Additionally, both types of communications require a cable modem inside the home. If the power goes out, the communication is cut off, and cable providers typically don’t have a backup system in place. Although VoIP and internet monitoring are extremely fast, during heavy traffic times there may be hiccups on the phone line that prevent information from getting through.
Most Reliable Communication System
The best home security systems use the most reliable communication systems - which is a dedicated cellular communicator. Second, best is a landline phone or internet as the primary system with a cellular radio backup. Although combining communication systems may raise the cost of the burglar alarm monitoring fees, using cellular allows for some pretty handy conveniences like those offered by Athenalarm's AS-V monitoring alarm control panel with AS-9000TT alarm control panel motherboard which allows for remote arming and disarming, text notifications and live video view.
Tips For Traditional Land Line Users
When choosing a traditional landline phone as the primary communications system, it’s important to keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Contact your alarm provider or monitoring company if a change is made in the phone service provider to ensure the systems communicate properly.
- When changing phone service providers, the alarm provider or monitoring company should have the homeowner trip the alarm system to test the signal. If a verification call isn’t received from the provider, it’s important to call them so that the problem can be addressed quickly.
- Whether or not the phone service provider has been changed, home security systems should be tested every month to ensure proper operation.